What is Chalk It Up?
On October 14, 2017, bring your family and friends to Artpace Chalk It Up, a festival of contemporary art, transforming Downtown Houston Street into a gallery – from the ground up. Artpace Chalk It Up is first and foremost a fundraiser for Artpace’s educational programs. Our Featured and emerging artists are always selected locally—they’re some of the city’s best, and play a prominent role in the success and enjoyment of Chalk It Up, creating compelling, original murals on Houston Street sidewalks.
What is the Corporate Competition?
sponsors will be invited to form teams from within their respected companies to
compete against other corporate teams (this is purely optional). Each will
receive a designated space at Chalk It Up and can come up with any design they
wish. Then towards the end of the day, the designs will be judged and the
winner will be announced and corporate bragging rights will ensue!
- Artpace Chalk It Up takes place on downtown Houston Street on Saturday, October 14th, 2016 from 10:00am to 4:00pm.
- Each team can have a maximum of 10 participants.
- All Corporate Competition leaders are required to attend a meeting at Artpace on Monday, October 3, 2016, at 5:30pm. This is when you can ask questions, meet other Team Works leaders, learn new chalking techniques, and be acquainted with all facets of the events.
- Register Online by filling out the form below.
- Submit registration form with fee of $500.00 (fee waved for sponsors at the $1,000 and above).
- Upon payment submission, you will receive confirmation.
Checks made payable to Artpace may be mailed to Artpace at 445 North Main Avenue San Antonio, Texas 78205. If you have any questions, please call Kathryn Conner at 210.212.4900, fax 210.212.4990 or email to email@example.com. All contributions are nonrefundable (Artpace EIN is 04-3757857).
See you at Artpace Chalk It Up!
The annual Texas Open Call is our primary resource for identifying artists who are interested in and eligible for participation in Artpace’s various artist programs: the Artpace International Artist-in-Residence program, exhibitions, educational programs, and special events. All Texas resident artists who apply for any of our programs will be automatically included in the Texas Open Call database, where their materials and applicant information will reside. Artists may select which opportunities they wish to be considered for, but need only apply once.
Applicants for the 2019 Artpace International Artist-in-Residence program will be reviewed on a rolling basis by Artpace staff and guest curators. Selected artists' studio visits will take place in 2018.
Find more information about our programs and exhibitions here: http://artpace.org/home/exhibits/international-artist-in-residence/texas-open-call
Who is eligible to apply?
The Texas Open Call opportunity is available only to artists currently living and working in Texas. Texas must be the artist’s primary residence for at least one year. Applicants from other states or countries will not be considered. Current students, Artpace staff, and members of the Board of Directors—as well as their spouses or domestic partners and immediate family—are not eligible to apply. While past Artpace artist residents are not eligible for future Artpace residencies, they may apply to Texas Open Call for Artpace’s other artist programs: exhibitions, educational programs, and special events.
- $15 per application
- Application fees support the administrative costs associated with Texas Open Call
- No refunds
- Free for Artpace members
About the application process
While guest curators select resident artists, Artpace assists by creating the Texas Open Call list of contemporary artists living and working in Texas. Each year, three guest curators review the list and may conduct studio visits with selected artists on the list during their respective Texas resident selection process. All submissions will be reviewed by each guest curator.
What happens after you submit your application:
- Artpace staff reviews your application.
- Artpace selects three guest curators each year, and each curator is given access to the Texas Open Call database.
- Throughout the year, Artpace staff and guest curators will carefully review all applicants in the Texas Open Call database.
- Artpace staff will consider artists for year-round exhibitions, programs, and special projects, and other opportunities.
- Each guest curators will select 20-25 Texas artists for studio visits. Artpace will contact artists via email or phone to schedule studio visits. Studio visits for spring 2019 residencies will be made in spring 2018. Studio visits for summer 2019 residencies will be made in summer 2018. Studio visits for fall 2019 will be made in fall 2018.
Please note: An artist can be selected for multiple studio visits within one given year, but once selected for a residency, an artist is not eligible for future studio visits with guest curators for the residency programs. So, if a guest curator visits an artist's studio in spring 2018 and selects them for a residency, the artist will no longer be eligible for summer or fall guest curator visits.
Also, once an artist has participated in a residency, they will still be a part of the Texas Open Call, but they will only be considered for exhibitions, programs, and special projects. No artist can participate in more than one residency.
- Guest curators will select Texas resident artists for the Artpace residency. Artpace will notify selected artists by phone or email.
- If you are selected for other Texas Open Call opportunities – exhibitions, education programs, special events - Artpace will contact you via email or phone.
Thank you for applying to be a part of Artpace!
The Artpace Shop is now available to rent! Located directly adjacent to our lobby, the Artpace Shop is the perfect space to sell your work. This 200 sq ft, highly visible, heavily trafficked cornerstone of the Artpace building is seen by every Artpace visitor and prominently faces N Main Avenue. Be the first face people see when they come to check out our programs and exhibitions, introduce your work to a new audience of supporters, and activate Artpace’s front entryway. Rental spots are available weekly Friday-Sunday.
Continuing in our mission to support the creative process of south Texas artists, the Artpace Shop engages local artists and gives them a space in which to talk about their practice and sell their work to the public. Using the Artpace Shop as a pop-up store for local artists and craftspeople allows them to reach Artpace’s established audience of arts patrons, while also offering another connection to the arts community to Artpace visitors.
What is Team Works?
Each year Team Works artists play a significant role in Artpace Chalk It Up by creating an original design in chalk, rendered directly on an 8 x 10-foot sidewalk canvas along downtown Houston Street. Team Works artists can be educators, students, and members of schools, universities, or non-profit cultural and community organizations.
- Artpace Chalk It Up takes place on downtown Houston Street on Saturday, October 14, 2017.
- Each team can have a maximum of 10 participants.
- Your $50 registration fee includes one 8 x 10-foot sidewalk “canvas” and four 24-piece packs of multicolored artist pastels (chalk).
- The registration deadline is 5pm on Friday, September 15, 2017.
- Upon complete registration and payment, you will receive notice of your acceptance. Teams are accepted on a first come, first serve basis.
- If you need to cancel your registration, we require notification by Friday, September 29, 2017 for a 50% refund of your registration fee.
- All Team Works leaders are required to attend a meeting at Artpace on Tuesday, October 10, 2017, at 5:30pm. This is when you can ask questions, meet other Team Works leaders, learn new chalking techniques, and be acquainted with all facets of the event.